Quite a few people have been writing about “the other B-word” recently – busy, busy, busy.
I’ve read about the Cult of Busy; Arianna Huffington asks everyone to Stop the Glorifiation of Busy in her new book Thrive; my very own Make Some Room Manifesto says, ‘Busy is a bullshit word; choose to say something real instead”; and there was a recent article in the Huffingon Post on eliminating the word “busy” from your vocabulary.
All of this makes me want to stand up and applaud.
It’s time to eliminate the word “busy” from our lives.
Replace the word and your actions with something more specific and meaningful.
- If you vowed to stop saying, “I’m so busy” what would you say instead?
- Rather than actually being busy, how would you like to be instead?
- Is what you’re so busy doing really, really worth doing or it is simply something you said “Yes” to without thinking it through?
- Are you seduced by the Bright Shiny Object Syndrome? That’ll get you busy in no time!
- Are you doing the right work or just trying to get all the work done?
Use the questions above to change your language and your life. There’s no need to use the B-word, kids!
P.S. If you haven’t downloaded a copy of my Make Some Room Manifesto yet, now might be a good time to grab it for inspiration!